Sunday, February 10, 2013

A lovely Sunday and Chicken Marsala

I am having the most lovely Sunday with the GF. This morning he splurged and we went to breakfast at a local restaurant where a relative of mine works. We had a delicious meal (pot roast hash for GF, veggie omlet for me) and the relative got a nice tip. A win-win for us all.
After this we took a nice little Sunday drive looking at several properties that are for sale and which have peaked his interest. After this we rode over to a local outdoor 'mall'. Next weekend the GF and I have a wedding to attend. We have gone to about a million weddings in the last couple of years and all of my dressy dresses have made an appearance at one time or another at these. I was feeling it was time to treat myself to a new dress and set aside $60 for this. I am planning a trip in April to attend a granddaughter's First Communion so I wanted to get something that would serve both purposes. My favorite dressy midpriced store is Dress Barn and I never fail to find something I love there. Today was no exception. I came home with the navy blue cap sleeved faux wrap dress pictured here and under budget as well at $50 Cap sleeved faux wrap dress. My birthday is in a couple of weeks so GF had me pick out a couple of things that I liked that he could gift me with. I chose a multi-colored Jones sportswear rayon jacket in navy, royal blue, black and silver. I will wear this with the dress for the wedding with a pair of navy peeptoe slingback patten leather dress shoes, the Pandora bracelet he gave me last year and some pretty blue stoned jewelry my assistant at work gave me for Christmas. I also chose a drape necked coral short sleeved blousePlus Size Solid Drape Neck Top with a coral and teal scarf Striped Jewelry Scarfthat I will wear (with jeans) to a fundraiser we are attending on my birthday!
GF also wanted to get something new for this wedding and he came home with some new black dress slacks, a blue&black micro pinstriped shirt and a new tie that has all the colors of my jacket in it! With a navy sportscoat he already owns he will clean up very nicely.
We love to browse this particular shopping area and since it was fairly mild (in the mid 40s) we did some window shopping and a nice hour spent walking. I came across a really good sale on kitchen towels at a kitchen store and picked up 6 new ones for home for only $6. In addition to this I replaced my sunglasses that had gotten broken and picked up a pair of sun 'readers' in anticipation of warmer weather meaning reading outside on the patio in a couple of months. Both of the pairs of glasses were 30% off so I took advantage of the sale prices. It wasn't a frugal afternoon for either of us but we had a great time.
GF chose the menu for dinner tonight and although it wasn't on my menu plans we had everything on hand at his house to make this. Chicken Marsala, Rice a roni rice pilaf and a salad with poppyseed dressing on for dinner tonight.
Chicken Marsala Recipe – A Traditional Italian Favorite and Favorite ...     
Chicken Marsala:
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin
1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp Italian seasoning blend
2 tbl olive oil
1 tbl. butter
1 pint mushrooms, sliced
1/2 tsp garlic, pressed
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 cup marsala

Mix flour and Italian seasoning together and dredge pounded chicken breasts in the flour. Set aside. In a large skillet heat olive oil and butter together. Add garlic and mushrooms and saute until mushrooms are golden. Remove mushrooms and set aside. Add chicken to pan drippings and cook until golden brown on each side (about 10-15 minutes). Put cooked mushrooms back in the pan, add chicken broth and marsala wine and simmer gently about 15-20 minutes.  Serve chicken with pan sauce and mushrooms spooned over the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment