Thursday, February 14, 2013

Lenten Meals: Mom's Macaroni and Cheese

here is the 2012 ash wednesday service scheduleToday is Ash Wednesday and in this traditional Catholic  household that means keeping the Lenten rules of fasting on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday and no meat today or on each Friday during the season.
Lent is of course more than just the dietary restrictions. It is a time of prayer, reflection, and change within ourselves manifested by outward works of self denial,charity and kindness. A wonderful Mass this morning has nourished my soul. Tonight's traditional family meal will nourish my body.
Every Ash Wednesday and Good Friday of my entire life I have eaten my mom's baked macaroni and cheese for dinner and this year is no exception. My eldest son and daughterinlaw are joining myself and the teens (middle son is out of town for work). Growing up this dish was my son's favorite meal and regularly requested as his birthday dinner. This year I am going to do something different on the sides, I am pulling out a package of faux crab from the freezer and putting together some "crab"cakes as well as a salad. Son and Daughterinlaw are seafood eaters so I am taking this opportunity to make these as well. Teens won't touch the stuff .
This is definately not diet food but it sure is worth the extra calories twice a year.Baked-Macaroni-Cheese-Supper-for-a-Steal.jpg
Mom's Macaroni and Cheese: (8-10 main dish servings)

2 lb. box uncooked elbow macaroni
2 1/2 lbs. colby cheese (or you can  use a mixture of colby and cheddar)
1/2 stick butter, cut into small chunks
salt and pepper, to taste
Milk (1%, 2% or whole, skim just does not work in this recipe)

Cook macaroni according to package directions, drain and pour into a deep 13x9 baking dish. Cut cheese into small chunks, add to elbow macaroni along with the butter chunks. Stir up to incorporate cheese and butter amongst the macaroni. Pour enough milk over the entire casserole until all the macaroni/cheese is covered. Place in a preheated 375 degree oven ( I recommend covering the oven shelf with aluminum foil to catch any overflow) and bake 1-1 1/2 hours until all milk is absorbed and you have a nice golden brown crust on top. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment