Sunday, May 3, 2015

Food Stamp Challenge

woman_with_food_stamps clipart clip art  Recently I had read an article about Gwenyth Paltrow and the food stamp challenge. Mostly I rolled my eyes and chalked up her experience to her lack of familiarity with how most of the country lives. Then I read the follow article which I thought was interesting and insightful and had a lot to say. The only thing that bugged me was that the author who has a food related job was so uncreative in what she did with the food she bought. She just kept reheating leftovers. Surely she could have done better (I kept wondering why she didn't turn that chicken carcass into soup or a chicken and rice dish or a stew.. and why she didn't divide that whole pound of ground meat into some type of meatballs plus the meatloaf she made or even made herself a burger patty or Salisbury steak with it and why she didn't buy two different veggies instead of two bags of one veggie) even if she did way better than old Gwenyth did. LOL.
Here's the link to this article:
https://gma.yahoo.com/try-day-friday-taking-food-stamp-challenge-150240471--abc-news-Recipes.html

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting that story. While the author refers to culinary school training, she (?)eats 2/3 meals out? Part of the problem is a lack of basic kitchen skills. Agree, that beef (actually fzn grnd turkey have cost 50% less here)would be stretched differently, different vegetables purchased, a soup made from that carcass etc, really lacked creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this article earlier on Yahoo. Did you read the other article posted earlier in the week, again on Yahoo written by someone who somewhat derided Gwyneth Paltrow and yet this woman chose to do her "food stamp" challenge by shopping at Trader Joe's. @@ She claimed it was the cheapest place to shop. @@ Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of Trader Joe's, however the one thing it is, is not cheap. The commenters ripped her up and down about choosing not only where she shopped but the way she spent her money. Which was not wisely, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to wonder if these articles aren't designed to enforce the idea that one person cannot eat an entire week on $29. It sounds challenging but I have regularly fed four people on $300 a month ($18.75 per person for a week) and fed them well. And about a decade ago I fed 7 people on that amount. I think where you shop is key. Trader Joes? How about Aldi. or Save a Lot or even Walmart.

    ReplyDelete