Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Farmer's Market

The area I live in is blessed with what is a traveling Farmer's Market that rotates different towns in the area on different days. It is also strictly seasonal between June and September. During the months that this is not available we have a brick and mortar market not too far away.
The weather here has been beautiful the last week, sunny skies and temperatures in the low to mid 70s. The kind of weather that has me thinking fresh fruits and veggies and grilling. I really should have devoted time yesterday after work to do a big grocery store trip but knowing that we were well stocked up on items except for fresh produce I chose to do instead a small run to this farmer's market.
The parking lot was a zoo and the market was wall to wall human bodies. Ugh. I changed my mind about a leisurely stroll around the place and instead got out my Iphone and pulled up my list and got down to business. $23.46 later I had purchased 2 quarts of fragrant and beautiful to look at strawberries, a pint of blueberries, a small baggie of snap peas, 4 large red bell peppers, a bag of baby spinach, a bag of three romaine hearts, a quart of grape tomatoes, a bag of shredded organic carrots, an English cucumber, and 5 lbs of lemons.

Dinner was a carry over menu item from April for a new to me recipe from Pampered Chef's 29 Minutes to Dinner for Brown Butter Tortellini with spinach and ham. It was a big hit!!Brown Butter Tortellini with Spinach & Ham

1 20 oz package cheese tortellini, cooked according to package directions
1 bag baby spinach
1 8 oz ham steak (I used turkey ham)
1 large red bell pepper
1/4 cup butter (no substitutes)
coarsely ground black pepper.
While tortellini is cooking place spinach in a colander. Dice ham and red bell peppers. Over medium heat melt butter and turn heat to low, cook butter about 5-7 minutes until it is a deep brown color. Add bell peppers to butter. Drain tortellini on top of spinach. Add ham, tortellini and spinach to skillet and toss well with the butter and red bell pepper. Grind pepper over top, stir and serve. Makes 6 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment