Sunday, November 23, 2014

The forgotten holiday

Clip-Art for Thanksgiving

Lots of work and out of work busy-ness has kept me from blogging as often as I would like to. With the Christmas season rapidly approaching this will probably continue to be the case.
My favorite holiday is not Christmas but Thanksgiving, a holiday I feel is often overlooked or forgotten in our rush towards gift giving cheer. Over the last several years I have made a point to collect decorations for both the inside and the outside of my home to reflect my love of the Thanksgiving holiday. What is better I ask than a day dedicated to counting your blessings, spending time with the people you love, and enjoying some good food?
Taking advantage of having election day off from work this year I made a point after spending a lovely day watching my youngest grandbabe of getting out these Thanksgiving decorations.
I began by hanging this fall wreath on my side door (I already had one up on the front door, somehow this smaller wreath got stored with the Thanksgiving decorations instead of the generic fall & Halloween decorations).
 
I then gathered and set up my front porch. I got the set of wooden "turkey parts" at a craft show I attended this year with a friend. It is a neat thing to do with a pumpkin that was part of the fall/Halloween display.
 
Here is a closer shot of the table and chair display using a Fall sign I picked up for a couple of dollars on clearance at a local craft store:
The antique drop leaf table used to be in our breakfast nook until I found a 1940s drop leaf enamel table. An item I had been coveting for a long time. this table and the chairs (which I intend to paint this coming summer) make a nice spot for a morning cup of coffee in the summer or a good place to perch with my laptop when the weather is warm.
A simply scarecrow in the bed next to the mailbox
 
And a fall flag complete my exterior display
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Looks great! We currently have 2 dead mums that need to be composted and the urns put away, along with a Fall themed wreath at the front door. "Fall" scented candles help indoors as well.

    ReplyDelete