Wednesday, November 26, 2014

November/December Grocery Shopping

Royalty-Free (RF) Grocery Shopping Clipart Illustration by BNP Design ...

My last grocery shopping trip was a big stock up in October. With the changes in my paycheck I have had to trim back our food budget to $300 a month and this amount is now going to have to include nonfood household items as well (which means a reduction of $175 a month).
I took a long look at what I still have in my cupboards and pantry shelves and what is in the freezer. One thing about working an 11 hour day and with all adults in the house now going their separate ways is that not a lot of food gets used up in a month. However there were a few things I needed to buy.

My middle daughter K asked that since I am on vacation this week would I take her to BJ's wholesale club so that she could pick up a few items for her household. I agreed we could do this on Monday and while there I picked up a gallon of organic milk, a case of tomato sauce, a bag of plain pita chips, a container of garlic hummus, a container of edamame salad, and two bags of Smartpop cheese popcorn. We are on a smarter snacking program here at home and almost all of our snacks were gone. When I got to the register I used $20 of my cashback rewards and ended up paying $11.22 for my purchases. (and I still have $60 in cashback rewards to use)

Yesterday after dropping college age son at his school I went to the GFS Marketplace near there (the one I use for work all the time) and restocked our pasta supplies. The last time I did this was in June so we did good in making these stretch until November. I spent $44.20 and brought home a 2 lb. bag of frozen brussels sprouts, a 2 lb. bag of frozen mixed veggies, a 4 lb. bag of frozen sliced apples (to use in a pie for tomorrow), a 2.5 lb bag of bowtie pasta, a 2.5 pound bag of penne, a 3 lb. bag of Amish egg noodles, and a 5 lb. bag of medium seashells.

My next stop was the Farmer's Market. My main goal here was to get the butternut squash I need for tomorrow as well as some fresh fruit and a few seasonal winter veggies. I spent $32.94 (all cash from my wallet) and brought home 3 very large butternut squash, a 2 lb. bag of lemons, 5 lbs. ruby red grapefruit, 2 lbs. turnips, 2 lbs. parsnips, 2 bags of cranberries, a pound of chestnuts (never used these before so I am on the lookout for fun recipes), 2 spaghetti squash, and a small tub of fresh brussels sprouts.

My final stop was at Aldi. I just want to take a second to say how much I love this store. Without it I would be very hard pressed to feed my family.
I spent $153.79 and brought home a dozen eggs, 10 lbs. russet potatoes, 1 loaf whole grain white bread, 1 pint baby bella mushrooms, 1 almond butter stollen (had this two years ago at my stepd H's and loved it), a cabbage, 2 lbs. bananas, 1 box elbow macaroni, 1 box tall kitchen can trash bags, a bag of green grapes, a bunch of celery, a seedless cucumber, a bag of three romaine hearts, 1 pint ricotta cheese, 1 lb bag of baby carrots, 1 bag of fresh spinach, 1 block white NY sharp cheddar, 2 blocks colby (became last night's dinner of Mom's baked Mac & Cheese), 2 2lb. bags of granny smith apples, 1 jar red cabbage & apples,  3 containers coffee creamer, 2 bottle steak sauce, 1 jar cinnamon applesauce, 1 bag dried coconut, 1 bag dried mango, 1 2 lb. bag  carrots, 1 bag string cheese, 1 bag frozen corn, 1 package of sliced muenster cheese, 1 bag white chocolate chips, 1 bag plain bagels, 2 cans creamed corn, 1 pint grape tomatoes,  1 bottle brown mustard, 1 container of feta cheese, 2 bottles apple juice, 1 bottle 100% cranberry juice, 2 bottles ruby red grapefruit juice, 1 bottle 100% grape juice,  1 jar molasses, 1 can pitted olives, 4 cans diced tomatoes, 2 cans cherry pie filling (along with some frozen sour cherries in my freezer this will become a second pie for tomorrow), 1 pint heavy cream, 1 bag of chocolate mint pretzel stars, 1 bottle orange juice, 1 bottle honey mustard, 1 ball fresh mozzarella, 2 packages cheddar brats, 1 box toothpaste, 1 container caramel dip, 1 package hard salami, 1 2 lb. bag brown sugar, 1 bag dried apricots, 1 container fresco cheese, 1 tub old fashioned oatmeal, 1 container spreadable cheddar cheese, 1 box 'ritz' style crackers, 1 bag chocolate chips, 2 pomegranates, 1 bag spring mix, 1 roll breakfast sausage, 1 bag dried cherries, 1 package sliced cheddar cheese, 1 bag shredded sharp cheddar, 1 package of cupcake liners, and 1 box gallon storage bags.

My freezer is still packed with fish (salmon & tilapia, mussels & shrimp), chicken (BLSL breast & thighs), beef (brisket, ground, roast, steaks, cubes), pork (roast, cubes, chops, tenderloin) , a boneless leg of lamb, a HUGE bone-in ham, lots of bacon, some banger sausages, and Italian sausage. This is why I limited my meat purchases to just the cheddar brats and the lunch meat.
Now I am off to make the December menus. With December being such an expensive month I am hoping to limit my grocery shopping to just the necessities (milk, fresh produce etc.).
My total for this shopping trip was $242.15 so I still have $57.85 in the November budget as well as my entire December budget which I am hoping not to have to dip into.

6 comments:

  1. Nancy, I hear you about having to pinch back. some thoughts:

    -can you make your own pita chips for less?
    -can you make edame salad?
    -can you make hummus?
    -make popcorn?
    -make bread?
    -I assume you bought the fzn apples for pie as a convenience. Would it have been cheaper to make your own from fresh?
    -instead of string cheese how about making rectangular strips of Mozzarella or other cheeses?
    -baby carrots, IMO, aren't worth the $, they are actually cut down, large carrots. True baby carrots are the thinnings from a garden and just mini versions of the real deal
    -compare home shredded and home sliced cheese from blocks of cheese vs the preshredded and sliced versions?

    I'm pulling out all the stops to keep mine in check.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can certainly make my own pita chips if I have pita bread on hand but I price comparisoned on the hummus and the tahini it needs is uber expensive. This made buying a premade hummus more economical. I am still baking my own bread but I picked up this loaf for a quick lunch and at less than a dollar from Aldi it was pretty cheap. I do make popcorn and have popcorn kernals at home, these bags were just a splurge item. I am the only one who like edameme salad so this was treat just for me. Yes the frozen apples are for convenience and yes it definitely cheaper to use fresh. I settled on the frozen though because 1. having to make two pies and do the squash this will save me some time and 2. I will have these put up in the freezer for future use when we may not have fresh on hand. The string cheese and baby carrots were bought for college age daughter, she requested them as quick packable items she can take with her to campus, saving her money on buying lunch when she is there all day. And yes shredded and sliced cheese are in general better in price however I am also looking for things that save time in dinner prep since I work 11 hours a day and don't get home until after 7 pm. I figure I can cut back elsewhere. And while out I got some sticker shock at the price of meat here. Oy. I'll be putting in more meatless and soup meals to save on that item.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy, meat prices here in the East are equally as shocking. Beef, fish, pork-you name it. Even chicken and turkey prices are higher since last year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carol I am shocked at the 'holiday' turkey prices here. Store brand is 69¢ a pound with a $25 purchase but the cheapest name brand frozen turkey I've seen was $1.19 a pound at Aldi (Butterball), the regular stores want $1.50 and up for these. Sadly the day of the 39¢ a pound turkey is gone. Happily GF's company gave him a turkey so we've stuck that in the freezer as part of our Christmas Day contribution.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My goal was to restock the stand freezer with 4 turkeys between now (Thanksgiving) and Christmas. I tend to cook one/month from Nov-March. With other meats being so expensive, this is smart home economics. I was able to price match a store brand turkey (brought my A & P ad in to Stop and Shop-the sister company to Giant Eagle by you) and got one frozen one at 39/lb. I also got a second one (store brand Stop and Shop)also frozen, for 59/lb. I've seen Honeysuckle fzn ones for 78/lb (last year they were 69/lb if I remember correctly)at Xpect Discounts/Marc's by you. I splurged on Thanksgiving this year, springing for a local, organic, free range, heritage turkey through my CSA. VERY pricey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cheapest turkey's this yr in my area (northern Indiana) was .49lb & .54lb for store brand. I lucked out bc my Meijer store on Wednesday was substituting Butterball for their Meijer brand turkeys since they were out of stock & the best part was I paid only .54lb. I was thrilled to buy a 17lb Butterball turkey at .54lb. You did have to spend an extra $20 to get that price but I had other stuff to buy so no big deal! I'll cook that, freeze the meat in meal sz portions & make turkey broth for future soups this winter. And yes meat prices are through the roof & I just read that chocolate is going to go sky high next yr bc there is a shortage. They're having a fungus problem & drought. I'm stocking up now for future baking. Crazy times ahead for us I'm thinking.

    ReplyDelete