Monday, November 4, 2013

An expedition into the freezer....

Level 51-53 – Brain Freeze.  A trip into GF's freezer this morning to look for a bag of frozen raspberries I was sure I had buried in there led me in a different direction. I did find the raspberries but while doing so realized I still had TWO turkey carcasses awaiting stock making. I figured it was time to unearth at least one of these and get some stock (and soup for lunch) made today.
I removed one foil wrapped package of turkey carcass plus another of turkey legs and wings. I got out the extra large pot from the laundry room and threw the bones into it.


After browsing GF's refrigerator and spice cabinet I settled on adding in the remains of a bag of shredded carrots, a large couple of spoonsfuls of minced garlic, a quarter cup of dehydrated chopped onion, a large handful of parsley, a small handful of Italian seasoning blend, some sea salt, and black pepper and got this simmering on the stove.
 
 
Several hours later I strained the stock and put it into containers for the freezer.

1 comment:

  1. Nice! I made a Crock Pot rotisserie style whole chicken for supper on Sunday. Yup-right after supper was finished, I deboned the carcass and then returned it to the Crock Pot along with the water from steaming vegetables and let it cook over night. Now to strain and decant into Mason jars for the freezer. An easy, and frugal ingredient to keep on hand is home made stock. A quick soup can be on the table in no time at all, and for very little cost, when compared to commercially prepared soups. WTG!

    ReplyDelete