Friday, December 26, 2014

The day after


Having had a joyous day filled with good company and rich food yesterday I was really looking forward to a quiet day.  I began with a cup of coffee and a book. A load of laundry in the washer and I was contemplating putting together my January dinner menus when oldest son gave me a call. He was wondering if I'd like to come over and collect the pans I had left behind as well as the turkey carcass from Christmas dinner. I am always in the mood for seeing my granddaughter so I changed my plan and headed over there. We had a lovely visit and I got to see all of the gifts little Miss E received and spend some quality time with her.  I brought home the meaty turkey carcass from the 24 pound bird we had enjoyed yesterday. I cut off the wings and thighs and popped the rest of it into the largest pot GF has with some onion, garlic, carrots, salt, pepper, and parsley. It is simmering gently on the back of the stove. Dinner is going to be a bowl of turkey noodle soup and crackers with boursin cheese. Right now I have a hot cup of tea and a couple homemade cookies for a nice treat. College age son has been working over his break with GF and staying at his house. Tomorrow I will be working my cleaning job also at GF's company so although he is bowling tonight son & I will be hanging out here. My plan is to pop in a holiday DVD I haven't watched yet ( either Miracle on 34th St. Or The Bishops Wife) and curl up with the dog. For me this kind of day is far more pleasurable than one chasing after holiday sales.  I think that although our Christmas was more modest than ones in the recent past it was still filled with thoughtful gift giving and receiving. Oldest son & DIL asked us to concentrate more on baby than them. We did pick up some small items, New bottles for their sodastream as well as flavorings for this & Keurig cups. Oldest daughter just wanted gift cards but we added a new book by her favorite author & an inspirational piece of art for her home. Adult at home son requested sheets, sleep pants, and a new day planner all of which he received. College age daughter got a new bathrobe, fuzzy socks, a couple of sweaters & a knit scarf. College age son got sweaters and these fancy gaming headphones he had asked for as well as an array of Axe products. Gifts will be given to middle daughter & SIL tomorrow night as well as the grandsons. GF got pants, shirts, a sweater & slippers ( all purchased day after Thanksgiving at deep discounts). And I received some beautiful dressy shirts, two sweaters, some scarves, a new Christmas table runner, a precious picture of Miss E with Santa, a wonderful piece of art that has her footprints on it, a pair of candle holders with candles, a new tv cabinet, a great new apron
 and the best gift of all time spent and memories made with the people I love. It truly is the thing that money cannot buy that means the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment