Friday, December 28, 2012

Early January Grocery shopping

Yesterday morning the stress of the holidays finally caught up with my body and I woke up with a dry scratch throat, a cough, and clogged sinuses. Ugh. My blood pressure is on the higher side of normal so when buying cold medications I keep this in mind. Of course I was totally out of Coricidin HBP which meant a trip to the store.
Not wanting to be wasteful of fuel while I am home on vacation I considered some other items we were out of (honey, steak sauce, pastas, fresh produce) and sat down and made a small list of things I could also purchase from the cash in my purse. My goal is to not touch the money in my bank account unless necessary (gas for the car) until January. My oldest daughter phoned as I was doing this and said she was tired of staying indoors and looking for somewhere to go so I invited her to go with me. She liked the idea of getting a head start on her January shopping and offered to drive. A done deal.
We went to Aldi, where I spent $51.10. I brought home a loaf of bread, a box of elbow macaroni, croutons, grape tomatoes, granny smith apples, bananas, spinach, spring greens, baby carrots, celery,  Orange juice, two Arizona green tea ice teas, sliced muenster, three bags of chips, a package of hard salami, bread crumbs, string cheese, ranch dressing, honey, two bottles steak sauce, half gallon of eggnog, a dozen eggs, roasted garlic 'triscuit' crackers, and a dozen eggs.   Our next stop was a little local Italian grocery store where they carry a lot of items I cannot find anywhere else as well as having an awesome deli. I spent $23.76 there and brought home a loaf of Italian bread, a pound of sliced pepperoni, a jar of sundried tomato pesto, a jar of pizza sauce, and three bags of locally Amish-made (Mrs Miller's brand) egg noodles in various sizes. Our last stop was at Marc's where I spent $16.81 and brought home a gallon of Arnold Palmer Lite, a bag of fresh sauerkraut, a cucumber, a jar of pineapple preserves, a bag of broccoli slaw, a bag of Ricolla throat/cough drops, and a box of Coricidin HBP.
I now have all the salad ingredients I need to take a nice salad to my middle daughter's house for tonight's dinner, as well as what odds and ends I needed for New Year's Day's dinner and some extras besides. I spent a total of  $91.67, $8.05 from my nonfood household item budget and the remainder of $ 83.62 from my food budget. This leaves me $266.38 in the food budget for future January purchases.

4 comments:

  1. Looks good, Nancy. I am shooting for a low grocery month or 2 if not 3! Eating what is on hand, making do. Oil bills-ugh! Some questions:
    can you make bread for less?
    can you make your own bread crumbs or substitute crushed crackers, oats?
    have you tried Aldi's presliced Pepperoni?
    have you tried making your own iced tea?

    Not judging, please don't take my feedback that way-just offering some suggestions for ways not to spend, yet still have the food you seek for January's menus.

    Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For years I made my own bread but got away from it because terns at home complained so much about slicing it. This is something I plan to get back into. I came across an overnight dough recipe I plan to try. Croutons & breadcrumbs are not usual purchases. I really prefer making my own. I have not tried the Aldi pepperoni. If you recommend it I will give it a try. The tea was a request from teen daughter who reimbursed me the cost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy
    Do you have an elextric knife and can preslice the bread? I do like ALdi's Mama Cozzi's presliced Pepperoni.I thik it's about $2/7 oz bag. It's made with pork, beef and the usual additives/spices/preservatives. No fillers and has a nice spice to it. Do give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. nancy, I was @ Aldi's yesterday Their pepperoni is $1.99/bag here in CT, may be cheaper in Ohio.

    ReplyDelete