Sunday, January 18, 2015

Something New




In an effort to save money and be a better manager of my resources I have been eye-balling a lot of meatless recipes lately. I came across one for Winter Vegetable stew on the Betty Crocker website that I bookmarked to try. Tuesday night I organised my ingredients ready for prep and into the crock pot on Wednesday morning. The recipe called for fire roasted tomatoes which I didn't have on hand so I substituted regular diced canned tomatoes. I added peeled and diced onion, potatoes, carrots, parsnips, turnips, and celery. Chicken broth, thyme and rosemary went into the pot.
I set the timer and went off to work. A wicked sinus headache brought me home early and both my son and I remarked on how delicious the house smelled when we walked in. When the timer on the crock pot went off I decided the stew needed a little something more to it. I settled on my mom's drop dumplings. I combined a cup of flour, one egg, and enough water to make a thick batter. I boiled some water and dropped spoonfuls of the dumpling batter in.
Once they were cooked I drained them and added them to the stew. 
Sons and I both really enjoyed the meal although I think the fire roasted tomatoes would add yet another depth of flavor. Next time I make this it will be with those. 

2 comments:

  1. Good to know that you gave this the thumbs up! It's on my upcoming menu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy, I made this on Thursday, in the Crock pot. Some substitutions: used onion for the leeks, bouillon made broth, oregano for the thyme. I also added chic peas for protein. Using your suggestion, this was served over egg noodles. I liked it ok, the kids all complained that it was bland. If I were to make this again, more spices (Ital blend?) as well as garlic will need to be added. Just our review

    ReplyDelete